Family pays tribute to Sunderland stabbing victim George Dagg

George Dagg
George Dagg
Have your say

THE family of tragic George Dagg today paid tribute to a “lovely man who will be sadly missed”.

George “Geordie” Dagg died in hospital less than 48 hours after he was found with stab wounds close to his Plains Farm home early on Monday morning.

Flowers outside a house in Purley Road, Plains Farm, Sunderland for stabbing victim George Dagg

Flowers outside a house in Purley Road, Plains Farm, Sunderland for stabbing victim George Dagg

Today, his devastated family paid tribute to the 53-year-old.

Dad-of-two George lived all of his life in Sunderland and had four brothers and a sister.

Sister-in-law Alison Dagg, 48, said: “We all can’t believe what’s happened. Two lovely lads have been left without a dad who had so much life left to give.

“George was a lovely guy, very quiet.

“He was the kind of man who would be no bother to anyone and he was taken in the prime of his life.”

Alison and her husband Billy, George’s elder brother, were told what had happened after receiving a call from the police on Monday morning.

Alison added: “We could not believe it. They told us he had been taken to hospital and was on life support.”

The family say no funeral arrangements have been made yet, although the service could be held at the back end of next week.

Alison added: “All of us are dreading it. We know this is just the beginning of a very long process.”

George was brother to Billy, Scott, Kevin and Ann. He was dad to two grown-up sons, Marlon and Robert, as well as uncle to a number of nieces and nephews.

Cards and flowers have been left outside his home in Purley Road, Plains Farm, where he lived alone.

One of two visibly upset women who arrived with bunches of flowers outside Mr Dagg’s home, and who did not wish to give her name, said: “I knew him really well. He was a lovely man.”

“Geordie, Plainsey’s finest. You will be missed. RIP. Gone too soon,” read one card signed by John, Sonie and Leah. “RIP George, you will be missed,” another read. It was signed ‘Leanne, Andy and boys’.

Simon wrote “A good friend. Gone but never to be forgotten,” while Kelly, Beth and Katie’s card read: “Geordie, an absolute legend. Thoughts are with your family. You will be a huge miss from Plainsey.”

l Two people charged in connection with the attack on Mr Dagg appeared at South Tyneside Magistrates’ Court yesterday.

Jack Ryan, 21, and Jess Ryan, 24, both of Toronto Road, Thorney Close, were charged with wounding with intent and affray.

Neither entered any pleas to the charges and they were remanded in custody. The case was sent to Newcastle Crown Court, where they will appear on June 18.

District Judge Helen Cousins said she was aware that Mr Dagg had died overnight and that the charges would need to be amended accordingly when the case was heard in Newcastle.