Family of killed holidaymaker fear they will never see justice

Joe Arthur, killed in Greece
Joe Arthur, killed in Greece
Have your say

THE sister of a Sunderland dad killed on holiday says she has no faith in the Greek legal system and fears she will never see justice.

The trial into the death of Joe Arthur started yesterday on the family’s fourth trip to Corfu since the 34-year-old died in September 2006.

But after a five-and-a-half year fight for justice, the family feel they are no closer to finding out the truth about what happened to Joe.

“When the trial started there was total relief among us all because there have been so many delays previously,” Joe’s sister, Tracy Page, said.

“We were so pleased and it seemed to be going so well, but within hours we no longer felt confident.

“We feel even less confident now than we did before we left. It’s one step forward and then another 10 steps back.”

The family returned to Corfu at the weekend after travelling to the country earlier this month only to find 10 minutes into the trial that it was to be adjourned.

It had already been adjourned in January 2010 and again in April 2011, leaving the family fearing it would never be heard as in Greece, courts have eight years to pursue a case.

Yesterday, Joe’s partner Leigh-Anne Bennett, 37, who was with him when the street attack that led to his death took place, took to the witness stand for a four hours.

The family left court fearing more delays after the judge said the case may have to adjourn for a further two days.

Tracy, 47, of Penshaw, said: “We haven’t a clue what’s going on and there have been witnesses flown over from England for the trial.

“Detectives and neurosurgeons are all here whose evidence is vital but they can’t stay if there is an adjournment and the court knows that.

“It’s so frustrating because all we can do is wait and see what happens. We’re in no man’s land.”

Joe, of Grindon, was on holiday with Leigh-Anne and children, Mollie, now 13, and Rhys, 11, when he was attacked in the street.

Greek medics claimed he suffered a heart attack, but a Sunderland coroner ordered a further two post-mortem examinations, which revealed he died of a brain haemorrhage from a blow to the head.

In 2007, Greek police charged three people.

A barman, 45, is accused of landing the fatal blows and two medics who treated Joe in hospital were charged with neglect leading to manslaughter.

Since then the trial has been dogged with delays and adjournments from defence solicitors.

Twitter: @sunechochief