Drunk Sunderland dad assaulted mum-of-three in front of children

Court story
Court story
Have your say

A DRUNKEN father assaulted his partner while her horrified children begged him to stop.

Stuart Wilson, from New Silksworth, Sunderland, pinned down the terrified mother-of-three and poured lager over her.

The couple, who had been together for about 10 years, split up and got back together after a two-and-a-half year break.

Prosecutor Jeanette Smith told Sunderland Magistrates’ Court how Wilson, of York Street, turned up at his girlfriend’s home on October 25 with eight cans of Holsten Pils and 10 cans of Stella, despite her asking him not to come round after an argument the night before.

Mrs Smith told the court that the woman said she let him stay because she didn’t have the energy to fight with him and stand up for herself.

She added: “At 5.30pm she asked him to leave, but he ignored her and kept calling here stupid.

“The woman was supposed to go to her friend’s and she started getting text messages from her, which Wilson was paranoid about, so she showed them to him.

“She wanted to go to bed and the defendant had half a can of Stella in his hand, which he shook over her.”

The court heard Wilson then grabbed the woman’s neck and pinned her to the floor, before emptying his can of lager over her and squeezing her neck with both hands.

Mrs Smith said Wilson’s four-year-old jumped on his father’s back, screaming “Get off my mam”.

He released the distraught woman, who then used her 10-year-old son’s mobile to call police.

Wilson, who works as a taxi driver, pleaded guilty to assault. Derek Logg, defending, said the couple’s arguments about money had been a “running sore” for many years.

Matters came to a head after she booked an expensive holiday, the court heard. Mr Logg said: “He went round with some alcohol at her request and they drank together.

“They argued about the holiday again and her intention to go out and leave her children with her eldest daughter, who is 15.

“He did not think that was a good idea. He admitted assaulting her, but perhaps disputes some of the facts.

“He regrets the incident and wishes it did not take place. He is very upset that the children witnessed the assault on their mother by the youngest’s father.”

Chairwoman of the bench Angela Wilson said magistrates were shocked by the assault.

She added: “It must have been a very frightening experience for the children.”

Wilson was made subject to an 18-week jail term, suspended for 18 months and was ordered to pay £100 compensation and £85 court costs.