Drunk smashed through family’s door after forgetting where his girlfriend lived

editorial image
Have your say

A MAN was so drunk he had forgotten where his girlfriend lived, and left a family terrified after he smashed open their front door.

People inside the house in Houghton were so scared by Barry Todd that they rang police and fled until officers arrived.

Todd claimed his drink had been spiked and he could not remember anything about the incident on July 28.

But the 33-year-old admitted an offence of criminal damage at Sunderland Magistrates’ Court.

Prosecutor Paul Anderson told the court that the man was at home when he heard banging on the door.

It became so loud that he called the police, but before they arrived Todd had broken through the a panel of the UPVC door and got inside.

Mr Anderson said: “He was shouting for someone by the name of Ashleigh and the victim and his son took refuge at the end of the street.

“When Todd was arrested he could not remember at all, but thinks he must have gone to the wrong street. Ruby Street, where he has been living, runs next to it.

“He went into the house looking for a partner, or ex-partner, with the effects you can see.”

Mr Anderson added that Todd, of Ruby Street, Grasswell, had been given a suspended sentence for assault causing actual bodily harm and possession of an offensive weapon.

Neil Hodgson, defending, said Todd and the partner he was looking for had been back together for 18 months, after having a baby 14 years ago.

He had gone out for drink with her father, to the Britannia pub in Houghton, and believed his drink had been spiked.

Mr Hodgson added: “Her father had gone home and he stayed and had a few more drinks, not an untoward amount.

“It does not have that much effect on him. But from there on he has no recollection of what happened. He pleads guilty on the basis that he must have done it.

“He thinks someone has put something into his alcohol after his partner’s father had left the pub.”

Todd was given a 12-month conditional discharge by magistrates and ordered to pay £200 compensation for repairing the door, plus a £60 victim surcharge and £40 court costs.

Chairman of the bench John Scott said: “We are putting you on test for a year.”