Driver crashed into friend’s car during police chase

editorial image
Have your say

A FLEEING motorist injured two pals when he crashed into their car by chance during a police chase.

Gary Storey had driven off at speed, veered on to the wrong side of the road and almost collided with other vehicles before finally losing control, crashing and sending his car hurtling into the air.

The 21-year-old had no valid licence and was not insured to be behind the wheel of the Nissan Sunny which eventually collided with a Suzuki Vitara – which by coincidence contained two of his friends.

The pals, who were nothing to do with the police pursuit, suffered multiple injuries.

Prosecutor Caroline McGurk told the court police had tried to pull Storey over at Blind Lane, in Houghton, but he sped away.

The crash happened after he had been tailed for two miles.

Miss McGurk said: “He was travelling at approximately 70mph.

“The officers describe him veering on to the wrong side of the road, hitting a Suzuki Vitara in a head-on collision.

“The force of the impact was such that the Nissan was launched into the air by four to five feet and landed on the opposite carriageway.

“Both vehicles were badly damaged.”

The court heard one of the occupants of the Suzuki suffered a fractured pelvis and needed weeks off work.

Storey, of Nunn Street, Shiney Row, had admitted dangerous driving, failing to stop when required by a police officer and having no licence and no insurance.

Judge James Goss jailed him for eight months and banned him from the roads for two years.

The judge said: “You ended up losing control of the car you were driving and collided head-on with another car which, by chance, was being driven by one of your friends while another friend was passenger.

“The offence of dangerous driving was a bad offence of its kind by virtue of the driving and its consequences.”

The court heard Storey himself was badly injured in the crash.

He was still wearing a leg brace at yesterday’s hearing.

Paul Currer, mitigating, said when Storey had found out who had been injured in the other car he went to both friends’ homes to apologise for what he had done.

Mr Currer said Storey remembers very little about the accident but accepts he was “highly irresponsible and utterly stupid”.

Twitter: @sunderlandecho