Drink-driver was four times over the limit when he crashed into a police car after Sunderland chase

Have your say

A DRIVER smashed a stolen motor into a police car while almost four times the drink-drive limit.

Kevin Ord, who has never had a driving licence, was spotted speeding on the wrong side of the road on Silksworth Lane in Sunderland.

Newcastle Crown Court heard the 29-year-old continued driving so dangerously, police had to abandon their chase for the safety of the public.

“There was a lengthy, high speed pursuit through Pallion, lasting 10 to 15 minutes,” said prosecutor Kevin Wardlaw.

“All of the roads were subject to a 30mph speed limit, but most times during the pursuit the defendant was driving at between 50 and 60.

“There were speed bump controls which he took at some speed, he drove on the wrong side of the road, he undertook vehicles and there were cases of vehicles having to take evasive action to avoid collision.”

The court heard one of the vehicles which had to swerve out of Ord’s path was an ambulance.

Officers abandoned the chase when Ord, who should have been at home abiding by a curfew imposed for a previous offence, drove into a line of oncoming traffic.

It was when Ord was spotted by a second set of officers that he rammed their car.

Mr Wardlaw said: “The second police vehicle got alongside the defendant.

“The defendant accelerated towards the second vehicle at some speed, causing relatively minor damage to the police vehicle.”

Ord was eventually stopped and arrested.

He was found to have 122 micrograms of alcohol per 100 millilitres of breath. The legal limit is 35.

“He had no insurance and no driving licence,” Mr Wardlaw added.

The court heard the car Ord was driving had been stolen by someone else the day before.

Ord, of Polmuir Road, Plaims Farm, admitted handling stolen goods, aggravated vehicle taking, dangerous driving, driving with excess alcohol, no insurance and no licence, all from March 21.

Mr Recorder Duncan Smith jailed him for 21 months and banned him from driving for five years.

The judge said: “It was the most appalling incident of dangerous driving.”

Gavin Doig, mitigating, said: “It was fortunate no one was injured.”

Twitter: @sunderlandecho