Drink-driver turned himself in after smash in Sunderland city centre

editorial image
Have your say

A REVELLER handed himself in to police after crashing his car while almost three times over the drink-drive limit.

Jonathan Argile ploughed his Citroen into another car after a night out in Sunderland.

The 25-year-old then found two police officers and told them what he had done.

Breath tests revealed he was almost three times the legal limit.

Sunderland Magistrates’ Court heard that Argile approached the officers, who were standing near Revolution bar in Sunderland city centre, in the early hours of September 22.

John McGlone, prosecuting, said: “It was 1.35am and mobile were on mobile patrol.

“They were out of their vehicle in High Street West, about 40 metres from Revolution public house.

“Mr Argile approached them and they could see he was unsteady on his feet. He said he had crashed his vehicle next to the Royalty and believed he was over the limit.

“He then directed them to Howard Street. He indicated he had crashed into another vehicle.”

Argile gave a breath test reading of 104 microgrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath. The legal limit is 35.

Brian Chapman, defending, said it was a “stupid decision” that led Argile to plough into the BMW.

He had been for a night out with friends he went to university with, but became separated from them and lost his mobile.

“Stupidly, he sought out his car and decided to drive back to his friends’,” Mr Chapman said.

“He took the sensible and correct decision to inform the police what he had done.

“He is a man of previous good character. He is a marketing consultant and travels as far as Glasgow and down to Wolverhampton.

“He is going to be greatly disadvantaged by his stupidity. It was a stupid mistake which he deeply regrets.”

Magistrates banned Argile, of Riverside Court, Leeds, from driving for 23 months and ordered he pay £85 towards court costs and a £60 victim surcharge.

He must also complete a six-month community order.