Burglar will never walk properly again after jumping from roof – and landing on police car

John Campbell and David Hawkes
John Campbell and David Hawkes
Have your say

A RAIDER will never walk properly again after badly breaking his leg when he jumped off a roof onto a police car during a bungled supermarket raid.

David Hawkes and his uncle John Campbell were caught red handed trying to smash their way into Sainsbury’s at East Boldon through the flat roof but were seen by a resident in one of the many surrounding houses.

The pair, who had screwdrivers and balaclavas, tried to make a run for it when they realised they had been rumbled and Hawkes broke his leg in four places by making the daring leap for freedom and landing on the police vehicle.

The 33-year-old former Nissan worker, of Havelock Court, Sunderland, who has convictions for 77 previous offences, admitted attempted burglary, which took place on August 26.

He was on two suspended sentences for unrelated offending at the time.

Miss Recorder Sarah Mallett sentenced him to six months imprisonment, suspended for 18 months, with six month night time curfew.

The judge told him: “You broke your leg in four places when you jumped from the roof.

“It has been said you are not a good burglar and I accept that is right on this occasion but you so seem to keep trying.”

The judge said the serious injuries were what partly persuaded her to give Hawkes another chance.

Jamie Adams, defending, said Hawkes’ partner gave birth to their baby just weeks ago and he has been a hands-on dad.

Mr Adams added: “This was ham-fisted in the way it was carried out, which is demonstrated by the actions of him jumping from the roof.

“He didn’t fall, he jumped from the roof onto the police car, breaking his leg in four places.

“He is never gong to be able to walk properly again, he has been told.

“That really says it all.”

Campbell, 47, of Osborne Street, Sunderland, who has convictions for 89 previous offences, was caught hiding nearby.

He admitted attempted burglary and was sentenced to six months imprisonment, suspended for 18 months, with a four month night time curfew.

His barrister Robin Patton said Campbell has sought help for his problems and has been left with his life in a “complete mess”.

Kevin Wardlaw, prosecuting , said some damage had been caused to the roof where the pair had tried to get in.