Bungling burglar left trail of blood for police

BOTCHED BREAK-IN ... a blood trail led police to Liam Hall.
BOTCHED BREAK-IN ... a blood trail led police to Liam Hall.
Have your say

A BUNGLING burglar was tracked down after leaving blood and fingerprints at a shop he broke into.

Liam Hall, of High Street West, Sunderland, cut his hand climbing through a window he had smashed at Affordable Fashions on Bede Industrial Estate, Jarrow.

The 21-year-old left blood and fingerprints on the shop’s till, which he pulled out but dumped when he realised it was empty.

Police arrested him after matching the blood and fingerprints to their records.

At South Tyneside Magistrates’ Court yesterday, Hall pleaded guilty to burglary.

Zeena Begum, prosecuting, said: “Just after 5pm on July 1, the manager of the shop locked up for the night.

“When she returned the next morning to open up, the alarm was sounding, and they noticed a window was broken. Inside, there was a fresh trail of blood between the window and the till, which had been unplugged.”

Ms Begum said that when the police turned up, they took a sample of the blood and fingerprints, which they later matched to Hall.

She added: “When Hall was arrested, he said he broke into the shop because he was short of money, and he thought the unit would be easy to break into.

“He wanted to steal the till but realised there was no money in it, and he had cut himself on the way in.”

She added: “He told the officers that he knew they would eventually come to talk to him because of the blood he had left at the scene.”

Hall was jailed for eight weeks in May after breaching a suspended sentence he was given for shoplifting from Asda in South Shields.

The court heard that he had been released from prison a week before the burglary.

Iain Jordan, defending, said: “He was living with his brother earlier this year and wasn’t claiming any benefits because it would have affected his brother’s claim.

“As a result of that, he had no money and the accommodation wasn’t particularly stable. However, he now has stable accommodation and is in receipt of Jobseeker’s Allowance, meaning he has no excuses for committing crimes.

“When this happened, he had been out of custody for a week and had no money. He was trying to steal cash.”

Magistrates decided to let Hall’s community order continue and gave him a five-month electronically monitored curfew between 8pm and 8am.

He was also ordered to pay £100 compensation, £85 costs and a £60 victim surcharge.