Arrests made after party host loses leg in horror blaze

AFTERMATH: Craig Finn in hospital
AFTERMATH: Craig Finn in hospital
Have your say

CLINGING to life in his hospital bed, this was the horrific aftermath when a loving son was allegedly set on fire in his own home.

Craig Finn has since had to have his left leg amputated below the knee after suffering third degree burns in the horror incident in February 2014.

Former labourer Craig, 25, of Seaham, today told the Echo: “My life’s changed forever.”

It was just three weeks after Craig had moved into his home when he was subjected to the alleged attack.

After enjoying a day drinking at the house he shared with a pal, Craig fell asleep on the couch.

Although Craig says he can’t remember much, he ended up asleep.

But as he slept he was allegedly set on fire.

The next thing he knew he was waking up in a hospital bed at Newcastle’s Royal Victoria Infirmary. The horrendous catalogue of injuries he suffered included third degree burns to both of his legs and back.

His left leg was so badly damaged that surgeons decided to amputate it below the knee.

His right ankle, which at one stage he may have had to have removed, has been reconstructed.

Craig’s mum Diane Barker, 51, also mum to his sisters Sam, 29, Danielle, 27, and Leara, nine, recalled the agonising weeks watching her son battle to stay alive.

“He was in a coma for the whole of February,” said Diane.

“We nearly lost him twice during that time because his lungs were full of fluid.

“There was a concern that he might lose his right leg too.”

The family are now hoping they can taken some closure at the trial of those who are accused of the attack.

Craig, who needs medication to control pain in his nerves and also to get him to sleep, said: “I don’t think what happened has hit me yet to be honest.

“I just have to get on with my life.

“I’m still young and I can’t let it get the better of me.”

•Two Seaham men, aged 24 and 32, have both been charged with grievous bodily harm with intent, arson with intent to endanger life, causing grievous bodily harm without intent and arson reckless as to whether life was endangered and are set to appear at Durham Crown Court on Wednesday, April 1.