999 pest punched police officer because he ‘wanted vengeance’

editorial image
Have your say

A NUISANCE caller who made numerous drunken and abusive calls to the emergency services punched a police officer because he wanted “vengeance”.

Steven Marshall McGill, 33, returned home after a late-night trip to the shops to find his girlfriend being taken away in an ambulance, Sunderland magistrates heard.

Prosecutor Glenda Beck, said: “At 10.13pm on September 22, McGill made a call to the ambulance service in an intoxicated state, shouting and being abusive and aggressive with the call taker.

“He stated he was going to harm himself.”

Police arrived at his home in Bankhead Terrance, Fence Houses, to find a drunk McGill with a minor injury inflicted on himself with a razor blade.

He was seen by a mental health nurse and said he had been distressed as his girlfriend had been taken into hospital, and he didn’t know what was happening to her.

“At 12.08am McGill contacted police,” Ms Beck said. “He was abusive and said he’d had enough and cleared the line. Police attended his home address again. He was warned about his persistent calls.

“At 1.02am he called 999 requesting an ambulance and police again. He threatened to self harm. At 1.05am he called again and stated he had a knife to his neck.”

Police arrived and arrested McGill who lashed out as he was taken to Washington police station.

“He continued to be abusive and aggressive and had to be restrained in his cell to stop him from harming himself,” Ms Beck said. “He punched a police officer in the face, causing pain and swelling to the jaw.”

In interview McGill told police he had been drinking in the house with his girlfriend. When he returned from the shop there was an ambulance outside and he was told his girlfriend had a miscarriage, he said.

“He was unable to speak to her,” Ms Beck said. “He said he tried ringing 101 and 111, but his phone wouldn’t allow it, so he called 999.

“He said he made more calls as no-one was telling him how his girlfriend was. During his arrest he sustained a cut to his lip which made him angry at police.

“He said he was angry and wanted vengeance so he punched the officer.”

McGill pleaded guilty to assaulting a police officer and persistently making use of public communications networks to cause nuisance, annoyance or distress.

Paul McAlindon, defending, said McGill’s mental health problems were exacerbated by alcohol and that most of his previous offences were alcohol-related.

McGill was sentenced to a 12-month community order with supervision and alcohol treatment. He was told to pay £50 in compensation to the officer, £85 costs and a £60 victim surcharge.