60-year-old with history of domestic abuse given two-year restraining order after threatening to slit ex's throat

A Wearside man has been ordered to steer clear of his former partner for two years after turning up at her home and threatening to slit her throat in a 30-minute incident.

Thursday, 5th December 2019, 6:00 am
Updated Thursday, 5th December 2019, 4:56 pm

Jobless Thomas Smith, 60, also damaged an internal door after the woman, who he had dated for a decade, barricaded herself in when he became abusive.

South Tyneside Magistrates’ Court was told Smith, of High Street, Easington Lane, appeared drunk when he went to her home on Saturday, November 16.

In a statement read to the court, the victim said the incident had caused her to be “very frightened”.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

60-year-old with history of domestic abuse given two-year restraining order at South Tyneside Magistrates' Court

She added: “I’m very upset by the incident. I’m scared of Thomas. I want him to realise that he has to stay away from me.”

The court heard Smith had been involved in 26 domestic violence incidents since 2010, of which he was the suspect in 14.

Prosecutor Clare Irving said the victim “attests that she was in a relationship with the defendant for ten years and that the relationship was violent with police called numerous times and he has previously assaulted her.

“There was a knock at the door, and she went down and the defendant was there, and he appeared to be drunk. He went upstairs and started watching TV.”

The court was told Smith started insulting her and also said he wanted to charge his mobile phone.

At this point, she went to her room and barricaded herself in, with Smith telling her: “I’ll slit your throat.”

Mrs Irving added: “He damages the door there because she was barricaded inside.”

Peter Thubron, defending, said ex-factory worker Smith and the victim had been drinking together, with the court being told the defendant had consumed bourbon.

Mr Thubron said Smith thought the woman was planning to withdraw the allegation of damage against him, adding: “He is surprised because he disagrees that she wants a restraining order.”

The court also heard Smith, who pleaded guilty to criminal damage, claimed he damaged the door trying to get in to charge his mobile.

Deputy district judge Arlegh Davies handed him a restraining order which prevents him from contacting the victim for two years.

He was also handed a nine-month community order, told to complete 20 days rehabilitation with the Probation Service, and pay a £90 victim surcharge and £85 court costs.