The 15 burglars locked up for targeting victims and families across the North East
Some of Sunderland and South Tyneside’s most prolific offenders have been locked up by burglar hunters in the last six months.
Northumbria’s most prolific offenders have been jailed for a combined total of more than 125 years – in the last six months alone.
For offences in Sunderland and South Tyneside burglars have been jailed for more than 40 years since July 2020.
David Hawkes, 39, of Havelock Court, Sunderland, who was jailed for 42 months on November 27.
Jordan Dixon, 26, of Bede Crescent, Washington, who was jailed for 18 months on September 8.
Andrew Haikney, 35, of Blind Lane, Silksworth, who was jailed for 876 days on December 18.
Mark Fada, 25, of Lonsdale Court, South Shields, who was jailed for three years on August 4.
Steven Lamb, 39, of Sapphire Road, Sunderland, who was jailed for three years on December 22.
With dedicated officers based at Southwick Police Stations, Middle Engine Lane and Etal Lane, the burglary teams are tasked with assessing every break-in across the region and ensuring those responsible are brought to justice.
Since July last year, they have secured more than 100 convictions against serial offenders who have targeted communities for purely selfish gains.
After a series of investigations, the team have seen their top targets jailed for more than 125 years combined over the last six months – with some others remanded in custody and still awaiting sentence.
Detective Chief Inspector Michelle Robson, Force lead for burglary at Northumbria Police, said: “There has been some truly phenomenal investigative work in recent months which has taken some of our most prolific burglars and thieves off our streets.
“That has been possible because of our officers’ dedication and commitment, but also because of the support of the public who have passed on vital intelligence and supported us at every step of the process.
“There is no question that burglary is such an intrusive crime, and the after-effects can be long-lasting not only for victims and their families, but entire communities.
“Your home should be your safe haven, and we will do everything we can to put burglars before the courts. It is fantastic to hear about the excellent results across the Force – and hope this offers reassurance to the public.”
Det Chief Insp Robson also offered advice to residents across the region as the Force continues to try to stop opportunistic thieves from striking.
She said: “As ever, we would ask the public to be vigilant and take a few extra steps to help reduce the risk of them becoming a victim of crime. Please lock your doors and windows, keep your cars locked, and make sure any valuables are kept out of sight.
"Our burglary teams work hand-in-hand with the neighbourhood policing teams to monitor crime trends, deploy targeted patrols and offer crime prevention advice to those most at risk.”
If anyone sees anything suspicious in their neighbourhood, report it to police via the ‘Tell Us Something’ page of their website or by calling 101.