SAVINGS of more than £250million in total will have to be made from a council’s budgets as Government cuts continue to hit.
Durham County Council says it faces making even tougher savings after calculating the impact of the Chancellor’s December Autumn Statement.
Its financial planners believe the total to be saved by 2019 will exceed £250million. How it will deal with the impact will be discussed next Wednesday at 9.30am at Durham Town Hall.
Council Leader Simon Henig said: “Thanks to prudent planning we are largely on track to deliver the very significant savings which we have had to meet so far. However, there is no doubt that facing these continued cuts we will no longer be able to protect frontline services.”