Chip pan blaze

Share this article
Have your say

A CHIP pan caught fire at a flat in Sunderland.

Firefighters from Fulwell station were called to Carley Road in Southwick at about 6.30pm on Wednesday.

The chip pan had burst into flames in the kitchen of the ground-floor flat.

The tenant, a man believed to be in his early 20s, managed to put out the fire by smothering it with a damp tea towel.

He was not hurt in the blaze and there was no damage to the kitchen.

Firefighters fitted smoke alarms in the property.

He was also given advice about using a deep-fat fryer fitted with a thermostat.