Chinese victim left with fractured jaw after Sunderland street attack just hours after arriving in UK

A Chinese man who had only been in the UK for eight hours needed surgery for a fractured jaw after he was punched in the face in Sunderland.

Friday, 3rd June 2016, 2:56 pm
Updated Friday, 3rd June 2016, 4:03 pm
Mark McManus

Mark McManus, 21, had already punched two teenagers when he approached the man during his first day in the city and attacked him.

Stuart Graham, prosecuting, told Newcastle Crown Court how the victim started to panic and walk faster after hearing McManus mumbling insults at him.

McManus punched him to the right side of the jaw before kicking him in the back causing him to fall to the ground.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Mr Graham said: "In terms of his injuries he attended the hospital. He had to have surgical intervention."

Earlier that evening McManus was with co accused Brad Middleton, 19, when he punched two teenagers in the face.

The incident happened as they were walking through an underpass near the Wearmouth Bridge on their way back from a fishing trip.

McManus punched one of the teenagers, who ran away, before punching the other one.

The second teenager fell to the floor after being attacked and was kicked by Middleton when he tried to get up.

The second victim said in a statement that he was shaking and keeps seeing the attack in his mind.

The first teenager said he was really angry that this should happen as the defendants were much older.

McManus, of no fixed address, admitted inflicting GBH and two counts of assault occasioning actual bodily harm at a previous hearing.

Middleton, of Queen Elizabeth Drive, Easington Lane, Houghton, admitted one count of assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

Paul Cross, defending McManus, told the court he had been recently been released from prison when he carried out the offences on September 12 last year.

Mr Cross said McManus accepts it was a sustained assault and is "deeply ashamed" of what he had done.

Barry Robson, defending Middleton, said he has recently taken responsibility after becoming a father.

He said: "He's lost his good name, his good character.

"He's ashamed of what he has done. It is completely out of character, he can't understand why he got involved to start with."

Recorder Jackson QC told McManus: "You shouted racist abuse at him and then punched him to the ground.

"He required medical treatment, surgery to fix his jaw, no doubt a nasty and upsetting injury.

"You McManus were looking for trouble after the other confrontation."

Recorder Jackson sentenced McManus to two years in prison.

He sentenced Middleton, who has no previous convictions, to six months in prison suspended for 18 months.

He also ordered Middleton to complete unpaid work and made him subject to a curfew.