Caretaker puts out fire in hotel

Fire crews from Washington and Birtley were called out to the incident.
Fire crews from Washington and Birtley were called out to the incident.

A caretaker put out a fire at a Wearside hotel.

The blaze broke out at the three-storey building in Emerson Road, Washington, at 11.25am today.

An electrical heater and items of clothing were destroyed by the fire.

The blaze was extinguished by a caretaker before fire crews from Washington and Birtley stations arrived at the scene.

Officers then used positive pressure ventilation to clear the building of smoke.

No-one was injured in the incident.