Businessman threatened to make ex-partner homeless

editorial image
Have your say

A BUSINESSMAN threatened to make his former partner homeless after he found her with a new boyfriend in the house they used to share.

Robert Allott flew into a rage when he visited the house in Moor End Terrace, Belmont, to see his children, Durham Crown Court heard.

“He turned up about noon and found a man called Andrew Webb in the house,” said Peter Schofield, prosecuting.

“He was the new boyfriend of Mr Allott’s former partner, and it was the first time he had stayed the night.

“This clearly enraged Mr Allott, who shouted ‘that’s it, this house is on the market’, and made other abusive comments about the relationship.

“Mr Allott entered the kitchen and picked up a nine-inch knife, saying he was going to stab Mr Webb.

“A stabbing motion was made through the banisters, which just missed Mr Webb’s thigh.”

The court heard Allott returned to the kitchen, replaced the knife and picked up a mobile phone before leaving the house.

Allott, 41, of Shepherd’s Place, Gilesgate, Durham City, admitted affray and theft on October 23, last year.

He has previous convictions for handling stolen goods and common assault.

David Comb, defending, said in mitigation: “Mr Allott is something of a rehabilitation success story after he was released from prison in 2000.

“He started a successful falconry business and now runs a successful scrap metal business.

“The house he used to share with his partner in Belmont is paid for, and he is buying his own place elsewhere.

“Things have now calmed down with his ex-partner and she still lives in the first house with the children.”

The Recorder, Anton Lodge, sentenced Allott to a 12-month community order and 100 hours of community work.

“You behaved very foolishly that day,” said the recorder.

“But you are in other respects a good father, keeping in touch with your children and ensuring they have a place to live.

“It’s not prison this time, but do this again and it probably will be.”

Allott, who did not qualify for legal aid, was ordered to pay £1,000 prosecution costs.

Twitter: @sunderlandecho