Boy, four, gets his hand trapped in escalator

0
Have your say

A FOUR-YEAR-OLD boy had to be cut free after he trapped his left hand in a shopping centre escalator.

More than 20 firefighters were sent to help in the hour-long rescue at Sports Direct in The Galleries, Washington, at 6pm yesterday when the youngster’s hand became trapped in the area where the handrail travelled beneath the stairs.

Officers found the boy, who is from Stanley and had been shopping with his father, screaming in pain when they arrived. Paramedics offered him pain relief and first aid at the scene.

The escalator had to be taken apart to allow the firefighters, who were drafted in from Washington, Birtley, Hebburn and Newcastle, to get to his hand, with a glass panel shattered and spreading gear used to prise away parts of the machinery.

He was taken to Sunderland Royal with substantial injuries.