Boy burned by pan fire

News latest
News latest
Share this article
Have your say

A BOY suffered burns after he tried to put out a chip pan fire when his mother was out.

The 10-year-old was alerted to the blaze by a smoke alarm in the upstairs flat in Oakerside Drive, Peterlee, at about 8pm on Friday.

After trying to tackle the fire himself and burning his hand, he called for a neighbour to help.

The man, in his 50s, helped to contain the flames and heat by putting the pan lid on.

The boy’s mother returned to the house while the incident was under way.

The youngster was treated at the scene by paramedics, before being taken to North Tees Hospital.

Minor damage was caused to the kitchen.