A FIREWORK was pushed through the door of a house in Sunderland as fire crews across Tyne and Wear dealt with more than 300 calls on Bonfire Night.
Firefighters from Sunderland Central station were called to Kettering Square, Downhill, just after 7.30pm, where a firework had been pushed through the letterbox of a house.
The front door was damaged but firefighters’ actions were limited to ventilating the premises.
Crews from Farringdon and Washington were called to Oxford Square in Pallion, where a stray firework had gone down a passageway between two houses, setting fire to a gate.
The passageway ceiling and gate were severely damaged and the interior of both houses slightly damaged.
Altogether, Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue service dealt with 340 calls yesterday.
Other incidents included a shed fire in Newcastle, in which a propane cylinder exploded, and an arson attack at a block of flats in Denton Burn.