Biker speeding before crash

Have your say

A BIKER killed in a crash had been riding at speeds up to 100mph, an inquest heard.

Gregor Kukuc was on his way home after a ride out with friends when he lost control of his high-powered Yamaha R6 motorcycle at Wessington Way, Sunderland.

The 34-year-old died after suffering serious head injuries and multiple fractures in the accident, which happened on Saturday. April 9.

Pc Martin Barrasss, of Sunderland Motor Patrol, was on match-day duty outside the Stadium of Light when he was called out to the incident.

“The deceased had been for a ride out to the seafront at South Shields and Sunderland,” he told the hearing at the Regus Centre, Doxford International Business Park.

“According to members of the group he was with, the deceased wasn’t familiar with the road layout of the A1231.

“Members from the group stated that perhaps the speed he was driving at was about 70 to 100mph – not appropriate for the road conditions.”

The accident happened on the westbound carriageway, at the roundabout between Colima Avenue and Castellian Road, at about 4.20pm.

Pc Barrass said an investigation found no road defects and there were no adverse weather conditions.

He said Mr Kukuc did not know there was a roundabout coming up and had been forced to slow down too quickly.

He said the vehicle’s wheel had locked, either because Mr Kukuc had braked too harshly or because he had put the motorcycle into first gear in a further attempt to slow down.

Pc Barrass said it was likely he struck the curb.

Mr Kukuc was thrown from his machine and collided with a road sign.

The biker, who lived in Ryton, was taken to James Cook Hospital in Middlesbrough, but medics could not save his life.

A post-mortem examination found he died as a result of his injuries, which had caused contusions and haemorrhaging.

A toxicology report found no traces of alcohol or drugs which could have contributed to the accident.

Verdict: accidental death.

Twitter: @Pressbench