Biker fighting for his life after Sunderland smash

Have your say

A MOTORCYCLIST is in a critical condition after a horrific smash on a busy Sunderland road.

The 35-year-old man was left battling serious head injuries after the crash on the busy A1231 in Sunderland.

The local man, who has not been named, came off Wessington Way and ploughed into a traffic sign at about 4.20pm.

The road was closed for two hours while he was airlifted to James Cook Hospital, in Middlesbrough.

Fans at Sunderland’s home game with West Bromwich Albion were warned to avoid the route while leaving the match.

The biker has head injuries and multiple fractures after his Yamaha R6 motorbike came off the westbound carriageway of the A1231, at the roundabout between Colima Avenue and Castellian Road.

Police closed the road in both directions between Dene Road and Baron’s Quay Road following the incident, to allow the air ambulance to land.

The main route out of the city remained closed while police investigations took place and photographs were taken of the crash scene, causing lengthy delays.

Traffic was diverted through Hylton Riverside Retail Park, but long queues quickly built up due to post-match traffic.

Police are now appealing for witnesses to contact PC Whitehead, of Northumbria Police Motor Patrols, at Southwick police station on 03456 043043, extension 66768. Meanwhile, a motorist had a lucky escape after his car smashed into a lamppost.

The accident happened on Chester Road yesterday.

The accident came 24 hours after a horrific motorbike crash that left a rider fighting for his life.

Chester Road was closed for four hours while emergency services removed the vehicle and cleared debris from the scene.

The front of the car was destroyed in the one-vehicle crash, although nobody was seriously injured in the incident.

A spokesman for Northumbria Police said: “At 7.02pm, police were notified of a one-car crash on Chester Road.

“For reasons yet to be established, a car had left the road and crashed into a lamppost.

“The road was closed for four hours to allow the car to be moved and the road cleared.

“There were no reports of any injuries.”