Bag left on hob sparks fire in Shotton Colliery

editorial image
Have your say

A KITCHEN was damaged after a plastic bag put on top of a cooker was set alight by accident.

Firefighters from Peterlee were called to the Old Vicarage in Shotton Colliery just before 6.30pm today after the alarm inside the complex of self-contained flats was set off.

The fire was caused when tenant had put the bag on top of the cooker within the third floor flat and thought they had turned on the oven, but had switched on the hob by error.

The crew found the fire was out by the time they arrived a short time after the blaze was reported, but officers wearing breathing apparatus were sent in to open the windows and set up a fan to clear smoke from the home.