Attacker locked up for double assault

Have your say

A VICIOUS thug who struck his victims with a wine bottle and metal bar in two attacks has been jailed.

Christopher Chapman assaulted Kevin Lilly and his sister Chloe with a Bellabrusco wine bottle at a bus stop in Hylton Castle.

The attack left Miss Lilly with a 3cm deep head wound, which required two staples, Newcastle Crown Court heard.

Chapman, 23, was released on bail, but just three months later he was involved in ugly scenes, which saw him beat Chantelle Churchill with a metal pole.

The court heard that there had been an argument at a bus stop between the defendant and Mr Lilly at about midnight on October 10 last year.

Feeling threatened, Chapman had searched for a weapon to defend himself and had come across the empty wine bottle.

Paul Rowland, prosecuting, said: “The defendant kicked Kevin Lilly. He then swung the bottle at Chloe Lilly and hit her in the head.

“It left her with a 3cm wound which required two staples.”

The court was told that the second incident took place on January 10 this year.

Mr Rowland said: “The defendant had previously gone to the YMCA and had spoken to Chantelle Churchill.

“She had been with three others who had been at a phone machine.

“The defendant had gone over to speak to them and the next they realised was that Miss Churchill had been hit by a metal bar.”

He added: “After the incident she visited hospital and was left with a bruised right eye as a result of that blow.

“The attack has left her shaken and scared.

“They had been in a relationship some time prior to this offence being committed.”

Chapman, of Ravensworth Street, Millfield, Sunderland, pleaded guilty to two counts of assault occasioning actual bodily harm – one against Miss Churchill and one against Miss Lilly and one count of common assault against Mr Lilly.

Robert Spragg, mitigating, said: “In the first incident there is no suggestion he was looking for trouble.

“But he accepts that he struck the girl with the bottle.

“Regarding the second incident, he wasn’t armed at the time, and it was when someone threw a brick at him that he picked up the metal bar.

“He has had a very difficult background with the death of his father.

“He knows he has to deal with his problems.

“He has a three-year-old son and wants to take care of him.”

Chapman was sentenced to 15 months’ imprisonment.

Twitter: @Sunderlandecho