10 historic First World War sites you can still visit in Sunderland today
For most of us the First World War conjures up images of the front line and the horrors of the trenches.
But in the first “total war” the whole nation had to be mobilised to fight, and Sunderland with its busy shipyards was both a hive of activity and a perilous place facing marauding U-boats and Zepplein attacks. Here we look at some of the city’s First World War sites which still remain with us today:
5. Monkwearmouth Station
One of the buildings hit in the deadly Zeppelin raid on April 1 1916, which claimed 22 lives. The bombing raid destroyed the roof which went over the railway tracks at the station.
Now the Emmanuel Free Church. It was opened by local German businessmen in 1873 and served Wearside's flourishing German population, as well as visiting German seamen. The First World War saw the church closed and turned into a warehouse, and the pastor, Paul Herzog, arrested.
Later the Mowbray Park Hotel, now converted into apartments. The Palatine Hotel was a regular meeting place for the Legion of Frontiersmen, a volunteer force founded by Roger Pocock which discussed preparing for war and potential invasion.
The castle and grounds were used as a training camp and depot during the war. The 3rd (Reserve) and 4th (Extra Reserve) Battalions of the Sherwood Foresters, based there as part of what was then the Tyne Garrison.