Hull City 0 Sunderland 2

editorial image
Have your say

Full reward for a brave display

WITH Mick Horswill already out serving a two-match suspension, Sunderland had to find two other replacements for their game against Hull City at Boothferry Park this afternoon when Dave Watson and Richie Pitt had to be ruled out through sickness.

Watson is a flu victim and Pitt has gastroenteritis. Brian Chambers took over at No. 4 and David Young at No. 6 with Mick McGiven coming in as substitute.

There was only about 8,000 present when Kerr lost the toss and Sunderland started the game facing the sun but with a fresh breeze in their favour. In the first few seconds Kerr received a painful rap on the shin from a tackle by Knighton and the referee had a word or two with the Hull City player.

After Montgomery had dived to push out a low shot from the foot of the post, Sunderland built up on the right with Kerr moving strongly to win the ball despite a strong challenge by Lord. His low centre was driven behind for a corner by Neill. Guthrie twice took charge of right-wing attacks and then gained a free kick when he was obstructed by McGill.

City were on the attack again when Malone was pulled up for a foul on Greenwood, but Kaye’s kick presented no problems in the middle.

Young went in strongly when a long ball by Knighton offered Pearson the chance of a break and then Chambers covered well when City came back again.


When a short pass by Tueart failed to reach Malone, City broke quickly to create a shooting chance for Greenwood whose drive struck Young and was deflected for a corner.

Porterfield beat Knighton in midfield and sent Tueart away on the right. A long ball down the wing appeared to have too much pace for Hughes but he managed to reach it just before the line and whipped it over into the middle where Kaye made a first-time clearance.

In the 21st minute Malone brought Pearson down with a tackle on the wing and was immediately “booked” by the referee.

From the free-kick Houghton gained possession on the edge of the penalty area and hit a powerful shot which lifted just over the bar.

Tueart was injured when tackled by McGill but carried on without receiving attention.

Next Halom went down after a challenge on Neill, but he, too, managed to get back into the game without any hold-ups.

A low centre by Guthrie found all the gaps across the front of the City goal without anyone getting a touch and when the ball came back into the middle a backward header by Hughes nearly took McKechnie by surprise.

Neill was pulled up for a body check on Halom but Kerr’s kick was scrambled away.

Sunderland were in trouble when Ashurst gave away a free kick on the left with his tackle on Pearson. Knighton took the kick and Greenwood, running across the front of goal, first-timed it over the bar.

Montgomery was at full stretch to reach a cross by McGill, pushing the ball out to Kerr who completed the clearance.

City were not holding anything back in their tackling and Sunderland had to be prepared to take a few knocks to keep going.

Guthrie set up Sunderland’s attack from a throw by Montgomery and after good work by Chambers, Halom hit a 25-yarder which had McKechnie screening the ball carefully as it went behind.

Tueart tried to take on two defenders on the left but could not force the break.

The referee applied the “advantage” rule when Hawley recovered from obstruction by Young, but Young still got back in time to prevent a cross at the expense of a corner.

A good break by Porterfield on the left opened up a chance for Kerr whose cross was turned behind for a corner.

Sunderland were in with a chance in the first few seconds of the second half when Kaye conceded a corner on the left. Chambers took the kick and when Tueart headed on from the near post Hughes sent in a header at the far post which brought a diving save away from McKechnie.

Then in the 49th minute Sunderland took the lead. Tueart was doing well on the right when he was obstructed by Kaye just outside the penalty area.

Kerr took the indirect kick and pushed the ball square for Tueart to try a shot. The ball was blocked by the City “wall” and when Tueart followed up to have a second shot blocked, HALOM stepped in to score from close range.

City hit back strongly and after Montgomery had gathered a powerful drive by Hawley he was in action again diving to save from Knighton.

Neill was lectured by the referee for a tackle from behind on Hughes, who was still on the ground when the free kick was taken.

Malone reached Tueart with a great long ball out of defence and when Tueart squared the ball to Hughes a break seemed possible. Instead of going himself Hughes tried to send Halom in but his forward pass went straight to Banks.

City had another narrow escape when Kaye was pulled up for a foul on Halom. Malone took the kick and McKechnie could only palm the ball away but there was no one in position to take advantage.

Chambers went on from a Hughes pass to force a corner on the right and when Hughes made it a short one back to Malone the full back’s centre was headed wide by Porterfield.

When Young was pulled up for a foul on Pearson just outside the angle of the penalty area Neill came up to take the kick. It was a well understood drill for Greenwood left far post bunch as the kick was taken and met Neill’s low drive to side-foot it wide of Montgomery.

It looked a certain goal with Montgomery moving the wring way, but somehow he managed to check and throwing himself in the other direction scooped the ball out with one hand. A truly remarkable save.

There was a flare-up between Porterfield and McGill and the referee lectured both before resuming play by bouncing the ball. Porterfield gained possession from the back and was immediately brought down by McGill. This time the referee did not hesitate on “booking” the City Player.

Sunderland went further ahead in 88 minutes when Chambers sent Halom away with a pass down the right wing. Halom controlled the ball well before making his centre and HUGHES, meeting it directly in front of goal, sent in a powerful header which McKechnie could only push into the roof of the net.

Hull City: McKechnie, Banks, Lord, Kaye, Neill, Knighton, McGill, Houghton, Pearson, Hawley, Greenwood. Sub. De Vries.

Sunderland: Montgomery, Malone, Guthrie, Chambers, Ashurst, Young, Kerr, Hughes, Halom, Porterfield, Tueart. Sub. McGiven.

Referee: Mr H Favey (Nottingham).


HALOM 49 min.

HUGHES 88 min.


Sunderland had to work for this win against a lot of physical pressure from City and without a great deal of protection from the referee who allowed the worst foul of the game to pass with no more than a free-kick and then booked Malone for what was no more than a solid tackle.

Sunderland were at their best in the second half, playing a lot of penetrating football with Hughes and Tueart showing up well.

Ashurst was an equal partner in a first-class back four operation with Guthrie, Young and Malone also doing extremely well.

Halom kept up a running battle in the centre of the attack and earned the reward of a goal.

Attendance: 12,637.

Story taken from the Football Echo on April 21 1973.