The Wellington Hotel in Ryhope Street South is seen here in 1996. It was named after the Duke of Wellington. Photo: Ron Lawson.
The Lord Roberts was originally The Station but changed because of Lord Roberts whose name was associated with the Boer War. Photo: Ron Lawson JP
The Nutwith Hotel, on Sans Street and Coronation Street, was a landmark until 1962. Its owner followed horse racing and one of the horses he backed was called Nutwith which went on to win the St Leger in 1843.. Photo: Ron Lawson
The William Pile was named after a ship builder and was a favourite of Dame Dorothy Street from 1871 to 1959. Photo: Ron Lawson.
The Look Out Inn was named after one of the four hills in Monkwearmouth which were 'all ballast hills' caused by the ships which had to get rid of their ballast as they came in to Sunderland. Photo: Ron Lawson.
The Aylmer Arms got its name from the Aylmer family who were landowners in Deptford. It was open from 1853 to 1960. Photo: Ron Lawson.
The Jack Crawford which was named after Sunderland's very own hero of the Battle of Camperdown in 1797 in which Jack Crawford recovered the colours from a damaged mast, climbed the mast and nailed them back on. The pub was on Whitburn Street and Charles Street
The Alma in Hendon was named after a Crimean War battle. Photo: Ron Lawson.
Which Sunderland pub do you remember most from the past? Tell us more by emailing [email protected]