What venues should do if a customer tests positive for Covid-19 as three Seaham pubs shut

Durham County Council is reminding venues of the steps they should take if a customer tests positive for coronavirus.

Wednesday, 19th August 2020, 6:12 pm

The message comes after three Seaham pubs announced they were closing temporarily following reports a man, believed to be a regular in pubs in the Harbour area, had tested positive for Covid-19.

Bottleworks, in Church Street, and Marlborough, in Charles Street, said they would be closed on Tuesday, August 18 and Wednesday, August 19.

An update on the Bottleworks Facebook page, posted on Tuesday, said the man had only been in the venue for 15 minutes on Sunday, August 9, first thing in the morning.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The Inn Between

The Inn Between, in South Railway Street, also confirmed it would be closed for a deep clean and reopen this Friday, August 21, at the earliest.

Co-owner Ellie Burdess said on Wednesday that it was not believed the man had been in the pub but the decision to close had been taken as a precaution. All staff tested negative for Covid-19.

Licensed coffee bar The Volunteer Arms also posted an update on Facebook after concerns were raised – but said it would remain open as the man had not visited in over a year.

Read More

Read More
Health Secretary Matt Hancock compares mass coronavirus testing to a 'moonshot'
Bottleworks

Joanne Waller, Durham County Council’s head of community protection, said: “We encourage all licensed premises to follow Government guidance and to adhere to risk assessments which should been carried out when reopening as Covid-19 secure businesses, which should include measures such as enhanced cleaning and hygiene procedures.

“We encourage premises to advise staff to take a test if they show coronavirus symptoms.

“Where more than one confirmed case is linked to a premises, we would work with other agencies to implement the local outbreak control plan at which point closure of venues may be required.”

New figures released on Tuesday, August 18, show eight more people have tested positive for coronavirus in County Durham, taking the total to 3,416.

Another four cases have also been confirmed in Sunderland, taking the total to 1,832 since the start of the pandemic.

According to the Public Health England data, there have now been 15,739 confirmed cases of coronavirus in the North East.

A message from the Editor:

With the coronavirus lockdown having a major impact on many of our advertisers - and consequently the revenue we receive - we are more reliant than ever on you taking out a digital subscription.

Subscribe to the Sunderland Echo website and enjoy unlimited access to local news and information online and on our app.

With a digital subscription, you can read more than five articles, see fewer ads, enjoy faster load times, and get access to exclusive newsletters and content.

Visit here to sign up. You can subscribe to the newspaper with 20% off here.

Thank you.