GUS POYET hopes to learn more over Sunderland’s lengthy pursuit of Liverpool striker Fabio Borini on Monday.
Sunderland have a fortnight left of the transfer window to wrap up a move for Borini - more than four weeks after the Black Cats’ £14million bid was accepted by Liverpool.
Poyet revealed last week that it wasn’t a lack of commitment from Borini to re-join Sunderland which was holding up the move.
And the Echo understands that there is more to the hold-up than simply Liverpool waiting to sign another striker before they rubber-stamp Borini’s departure.
A second loan move for Borini could be a possibility too.
But Poyet, who has continued to remain positive over Sunderland’s prospects of signing Borini, said: “I should know something today or tomorrow, I hope. We’ll see.”
Victor Moses had been linked as a possible alternative to Borini, but the Chelsea winger joined Stoke City on a season-long loan over the weekend.
However, it is understood that Moses was not a player who Poyet was attracted to.
Poyet remains keen to reinforce his squad before the September 1 deadline though, with a midfielder and a defender on his radar, together with Borini.
The late unavailability of Santiago Vergini at The Hawthorns highlighted Sunderland’s thin options in the back-line, with Wes Brown forced to move from centre-half to right-back against the Baggies.
“I know that we need a few,” said Poyet.
“Not one, but a few.
“There are areas in the team that when you set it up, you are missing players.
“There are a few things we’re still working on.
“It’s no secret we’re trying.
“I can assure you more will come. How many is impossible to tell.”
Meanwhile, it is understood that Alfred N’Diaye could be close to finalising his move to Real Betis after further talks over the weekend.
Sunderland accepted Betis’s offer of around £2m earlier this month, yet talks between N’Diaye’s agent and the Spanish club initially failed to reach an agreement.
But after N’Diaye was tellingly not even handed a Sunderland squad number for the new campaign last week, sources in Spain indicated over the weekend that the 24-year-old’s move to Betis was back on.
Betis are thought to be prepared to offer N’Diaye a more lucrative contract than fellow Spanish suitors Elche and Celta Vigo.