Seaham on cruise control against Yarm

Have your say

Seaham produced an excellent display of strength and determination as they cruised to a 40-12 victory over Yarm.

Yarm had a fine chance to open the scoring, but were held at bay when wing Stuart Tisseman put in a solid hit to force a handling error and end the movement.

Shortly afterwards, it was Seaham’s turn to take the ascendancy and they bombed downfield.

Following a sustained spell of pressure, James Ramshaw broke from a rolling maul and crashed over for his first try of the season.

The lead was doubled soon after when Graham Aldus worked a fine angle and crashed through several despairing tackles to touch down for the sixth time this campaign.

This time, Grant Westwick added the conversion to put his side 12-0 ahead.

Although they were now on a roll, Seaham were held at bay by Yarm’s stubborn defence and they had to wait until the 22nd minute before recording a third try.

Crisp handling and interplay between Grant Westwick, Glen Hardie, Graeme Steel, Jonny Martin and Ben Bell, took the hosts into the visitors’ 22 before a maul was set up.

Ryan Pink broke from the maul and worked a clever one-two with Grant Westwick, before crashing over the line and Westwick added the extras.

Grant Westwick had an ideal opportunity to nail a try bonus point when he received a pass with the line wide open.

However, the lofty winger was unable to hold on to the ball and knocked it over the try line.

Fortunately, the hosts were able to record a precious fourth try within two minutes.

Second row Andy Short managed to steal an opposition lineout throw and drive play forward.

Ryan Pink then finished the move off for his second try of the game, which was converted by Grant Westwick for a 26-0 advantage.

The visitors emerged strongly after the break and pressured Seaham’s line for a sustained spell.

Fortunately, the Seaham defence stood strong and crunching hits by Ben Bell, Ryan Pink and Jonny Martin held the Teessiders at bay.

On the hour, Seaham were awarded a lineout fifteen metres out, but overthrew and Yarm won the ball.

Seaham drove through and regained possession.

After driving forward, Jon Dye took a pass and danced through a crowded defence to touch down behind the posts for a try. Grant Westwick’s conversion made it 33-0.

Fine runs by Ryan Giblin and Jack McCallum took the hosts ever closer to the try line as they maintained the pressure, but the Yarm defence kept them out.

Ben Bell eventually crossed the whitewash for a captain’s try, but the referee adjudged that he had ran into one of his own players and the score was disallowed.

Flankers Ben Bell and James Ramshaw linked well and set up their back row colleague Ryan Pink, who broke through the defensive line and crashed over for his third try of the game.

Grant Westwick added a fifth conversion from six attempts to put Seaham 40-0 ahead.

Yarm maintained their determination and finished the game strongly.

Their efforts were awarded on 77 minutes when their fly half crossed in the left corner for a try to make it 40-5.

The visitors also had the final say when clever handling and support play saw them cross the whitewash again.

This time their conversion was impressively added with the final play of the game and Yarm were able to finish with their heads held high.