Powerful Boars whitewash Consett with fine display
HOUGHTON Boars continued their impressive unbeaten start to the league season with a 41-0 win over Consett III last Saturday.
Consett started the beater, putting pressure on the Boars, and camping in their half for 10 minutes.
Every time Houghton kicked out of their half, Consett ran the ball back, but with a strong defence Houghton made sure that Consett were unable to convert any pressure into points.
Once Houghton started to find their feet, the pack worked as a team and with some good passing and persistence found themselves with a penalty on the five-metre line.
Thet led to Andy Morrell scoring Houghton’s first try, but they were unable to add the conversion.
Houghton doubled their score just before half-time with another forwards’ try, this time by Richard Lydiatt, with Karl Harvey converting.
Some changes were made at the start of the second half. The introduction of Andrew Nichols and Joe Jenkins helped to boost the Boars teams, and they started to find ways around Consett’s defence.
Strong running plays from Andy Pearson, Ralph Main and Connor Bowen help to secure the ball for Jenkins to make one of his trademark darting runs to score his first try as a Boars player, with Nichols scoring the conversion.
It wasn’t all Houghton, as Consett kept on fighting and with inspiration from their full-back, who had a great came, they made sure that Houghton had to fight for the win. Houghton did have a set-back when Harvey was taken off with an injury, but that introduced Rob Hebron to the field.
Nichols and Jenkins continued to be a thorn in the side of Consett and two more tries came from Rob Hebron and Connor Bowen, with one conversion from Nichols.
Boars put the game to bed with some great plays which led to tries for Martin Bircham and John Forester.
This week, Houghton Boars are back in action against Blyth Vets at Dairy Lane, again fielding a team of youth and experience.
Houghton Boars, Meet: 12.30 kick off 2.15. Team from: A. Fairley, R.Main, D.Miller, L.Whelan, R.Lydiatt, C.Parks, C.Bowen, A.Morrell, D.Bradley, J.Sneezham, G.Spoors, A.Pearson, A.Ellis, C.Gowland, B.Raines, K.Harvey, D.Wolfe, J.Sharpe, K.Jarvis, M.Bircham, J.Parkinson, M.Mac, J.Jenkins.
- Boss Di Canio wants six new men for Sunderland
- Bus crashes into Sunderland JobCentre
- Pool pervert used shoe mirror to spy on woman changing in Sunderland Aquatic Centre
- Survival assured, Sunderland boss can plan future
- ‘You can’t live a lie and spend your life feeling sad’ – transgender modelling competition finalist tells all
- DOBSON MARKS START OF HEALTH C
- Di Canio: Sunderland players will get a shorter summer break if they don’t perform well at Tottenham
- Last post is 6.30pm (but get here by 5.30pm)
- TV chef Martin Blunos takes over the kitchen at Seaham Hall
- Sunderland museums and arts centres lose out as donations head to London
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Sunderland
Sunday 19 May 2013
Temperature: 9 C to 16 C
Wind Speed: 10 mph
Wind direction: North east
Temperature: 9 C to 17 C
Wind Speed: 14 mph
Wind direction: North