STOKE CITY have been linked with a summer move for out-of-contract Sunderland midfielder Seb Larsson.
Sunderland are yet to hold any discussions over extending Larsson’s three-year stay at the Stadium of Light, with the Swedish international’s current deal expiring at the end of June.
The Black Cats rejected a January offer from another Premier League club for Larsson, but there has been no further indication of whether his future lies on Wearside.
Reports today have indicated that Stoke, who failed in a January pursuit of Sunderland midfielder Lee Cattermole, are ready to make a Bosman move for Larsson at the end of the season.
Certainly, Larsson, who scored the winner in Saturday’s win at Manchester United, is open to remaining in the Premier League, albeit there is interest on the Continent from Borussia Monchengladbach, Besiktas and Galatasaray.
And the 28-year-old will be an attractive proposition for many Premier League managers after making more than 200 top flight appearances and winning 63 caps for his country.
But as Larsson’s agent, Per Jonsson, told the Echo last month, the sticking point in the former Arsenal man’s future could be whether he is given the chance to return to his favoured role on the right-hand side of midfield.
“The main situation for Seb going forwards is to choose a club - whether that is Sunderland or someone else - that will use him in his natural position,” said Jonsson.