A FORMER Swedish star and England cricketer make our countdown of the 100 greatest Sunderland signings today as we reach numbers 35 to 31.
Our judging panel has selected the 100 greatest post-war signings and the criteria was very simple.
Players had to have played after World War II, and those who had come through the ranks were not eligible.
35. Stefan Schwarz (Pictured above)
- Midfielder joined Sunderland from Valencia in 1999 for around £4m
- Former Arsenal, Benfica and Fiorentina star was part of Peter Reid’s successful Premier League team at the Stadium of Light
- Made 76 appearances for Sunderland, scoring three times
- Swedish international left the club in 2003 to retire
34. Nicky Summerbee (Pictured)
- Midfielder joined Sunderland from Manchester City in 1997 in a swap deal involving Craig Russell
- Was a regular provider of goals in the club’s promotion to the top flight in 1999
- Made 108 appearances for Sunderland, scoring eight times
- Left the club in 2001 to join Bolton Wanderers, and later had spells at clubs including Nottingham Forest, Leicester City and Bradford City
33. Willie Watson (Pictured)
- Midfielder joined Sunderland after the Second World war in 1946 – he had played for Huddersfield Town beforehand, and signed for Sunderland for £8,000
- Represented England four times during his time at Sunderland
- Also represented England at cricket, making 23 Test appearances
- Made 223 appearances for Sunderland, scoring 18 times
- Left the club in 1954 to join Halifax Town. He later managed Halifax and Bradford City
32. Bobby Moncur (Pictured)
- Defender joined Sunderland from Newcastle United in 1974
- The last man to captain Newcastle to major silverware when he lifted the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup in 1969
- Made 101 appearances for Sunderland, scoring two times
- Left the club in 1976 to join Carlisle United
31. John Byrne (Pictured)
- Striker joined Sunderland from Brighton and Hove Albion in 1991
- Only spent a year at Sunderland, but scored in every round of the FA Cup except for the final
- Republic of Ireland international made 43 appearances for Sunderland, scoring 15 times
- Left the club in 1992 to join Millwall for £275,000, and later played for Oxford United and Brighton
Our panel also selected a top 10 – but the order of those players will be up to Echo readers, who can vote for who they believe is the greatest signing in the club’s post-war history.
We’ll reveal the top 10 in a couple of weeks, and you will be able to vote either online or by text.
You can also tweet your views on the countdown by using the hashtag #SAFC100.
* Click here for 100-96 - including Phil Gray.
* Click here for 95-91 - including Steven Fletcher.
* Click here for 90-86 - including David Connolly.
* Click here for 85-81 - including Alex Chamberlain.
* Click here for 80-76 - including Fred Hall.
* Click here for 75-71 - including Mart Poom.
* Click here for 70-66 - including Alex Rae.
* Click here for 65-61 - including Eric Gates.
* Click here for 60-56 - including John O’Shea.
* Click here for 55-51 - including Don Goodman.
* Click here for 50-46 - including Simon Mignolet.
* Click here for 45-41 - including Dick Malone.
* Click here for 40-36 - including Lee Clark.