WE launch our countdown of the top 100 SAFC signings today with a look at who are in positions 100 to 96.
Our judging panel has selected the 100 greatest signings in the post-war era – and these are the players who just made the cut.
100. George Burley
– Right-back (pictured) who joined Sunderland from Ipswich Town in 1985
– Some impressive performances were not enough to prevent relegation in 1987, but helped them return to the second tier in 1988
– Made 66 appearances for Sunderland, scoring twice
– Left the club in 1988 to join Gillingham, and later managed the likes of Ipswich, Derby County, Hearts, Southampton, Scotland and Crystal Palace
99. Frank Gray
– Left-back (pictured) who joined Sunderland from Leeds United in 1985
– A Scotland international, he made 169 appearances for Sunderland, scoring eight times
– Left the club in 1989 to join Darlington
98. Peter Wakeham
– Goalkeeper (pictured) who joined Sunderland from Torquay United in 1958
– Made 151 appearances for Sunderland, without scoring
– Left the club in 1962 to join Charlton Athletic
97. Steve Whitworth
– Right-back (pictured) who joined Sunderland from Leicester City in 1979 for £120,000
– Sunderland won promotion in his first season
– An England international, he made 97 appearances for Sunderland, without scoring
– Left the club in 1981 to join Bolton Wanderers, and later played for Barnet
96. Phil Gray
– Striker (pictured above) who joined Sunderland from Luton Town in 1993 for £800,000
– Was the club’s top scorer in his first two seasons, and helped them to promotion in 1996
– Made 134 appearances for Sunderland, scoring 41 times
– Left the club in 1996 to join Nancy, and later played for the likes of Burnley, Oxford United and Stevenage.
Our panel also selected a top 10 – but the order of those players will be up to Echo readers, who can vote for who they believe is the greatest signing in the club’s history.
We’ll reveal the top 10 in a couple of weeks, and you will be able to vote either online or by text.
You can also tweet your views on the countdown by using the hashtag #SAFC100.
* Click here for 95-91