SUNDERLAND will push forward with efforts to sign Stoke City’s Ricardo Fuller after fellow target John Carew moved to tie up a move to the Potters.
Steve Bruce has drawn up a list of half-a-dozen potential targets in the wake of Darren Bent’s departure to Villa this week – Carew and Fuller included – with a view to strengthening his attacking options in the wake of Darren Bent’s move to Aston Villa.
The Sunderland manager knows it will not be possible to replace Bent in the short-term and will look to make a big-money buy in the summer.
But in the meantime he is looking for strikers to come in who can still do a job for the club and maintain the club’s successful season so far.
He told the Echo: “John Carew was someone we looked at but it looks like he’s moving to Stoke, which might affect the situation with Ricardo Fuller.
“We know there are certain individuals who could be available – Ricardo Fuller could be one of those but we’ll see what happens.
“There are a few players we’re looking at but we will want value for money and we’re not going to be held to ransom.”
Stoke City’s deputy manager Dave Kemp has suggested that City favourite Fuller will not be pushed out of the door when Sunderland’s interest was mentioned.
“That is speculation,” he said. “He is our player and he has every chance of being involved on Saturday (against Fulham).
“We want as many good players here and as much competition as we possibly can, so we are not looking to move lots of people out.
“We would like to bring one or two in to improve the quality we have.”
Fuller could move for something in the region of £3m.
Cardiff City’s Jay Bothroyd is another who has been on the list but Sunderland’s interest looks to be cooling at the same time as the Bluebirds have signalled they want to hold on to the much-travelled 28-year-old striker.