Sunderland boss David Moyes facing one-game touchline ban at Bournemouth if he accepts FA charge

Sunderland manager David Moyes
Sunderland manager David Moyes
0
Have your say

Sunderland boss David Moyes will serve a one-game touchline ban at Bournemouth this weekend - if he accepts an FA charge of misconduct.

Moyes was charged by the Football Association last week following his sending-off at Southampton in the fourth round of the EFL Cup.

The Sunderland manager is alleged to have "used abusive and/or insulting words towards a match official".

The Echo understands the Sunderland boss is yet to respond ahead of Tuesday night's 6pm deadline.

But it appears likely he will accept the charge given he admitted swearing and said it was the correct decision to send him off in the immediate aftermath of the cup exit.

Moyes was sent off in the 90th minute at St Mary’s, seconds after referee Chris Kavanagh rejected strong appeals for a penalty after Sunderland striker Victor Anichebe tumbled in the box.

Speaking after the game, Moyes said: "The decision to send me off was correct. It was the fourth official, who chased me down the touchline.

"I felt like saying 'just stay back'. But I swore at him which I shouldn’t have done and I deserved to get sent off."

If Moyes admits the charge, he is set to be handed a one-match touchline ban and a fine. That would take effect at Bournemouth on Saturday.

If Moyes contests the charge he would risk a two-game ban.