Sunderland await Inter Milan decision on Muntari

0
Have your say

SUNDERLAND are still waiting for a decision from Inter Milan on Sulley Muntari despite his agent claiming a deal is imminent.

The Black Cats made an inquiry for Muntari over the weekend and are waiting to hear whether Inter will allow the out-of-favour midfielder to join fellow Ghanaians John Mensah and Asamoah Gyan at the Stadium of Light.

Muntari’s agent Fabien Piveteau had claimed over the weekend that the Ghanaian was on the verge of joining Sunderland and dismissed speculation linking the player to Spurs, Liverpool and Everton.

“We hope to have everything sorted shortly, maybe by Tuesday,” he said.

“He knows Sunderland is a good club, possibly not the biggest but he wants to be playing football.

“The other Ghana players at Sunderland have told him about the club which has obviously played a part.”

Piveteau’s claims seem to be premature although Black Cats boss Steve Bruce will hope to complete a move for Muntari this week as the chances of signing fellow target Stephane Sessegnon seem to be receding.

The Paris Saint-Germain midfielder had appeared to be on his way to Sunderland last week with Bruce confirming his interest in the player.

The Black Cats are yet to agree a fee with PSG for the £5million rated player although there remains speculation in France on his future.

Sessegnon ended his showdown with manager Antoine Kombouare last week when he returned to training for the first time in a month.

But he was left out of PSG’s French Cup clash at Agen yesterday due to a mystery illness with some reports claiming that could be a smokescreen for a move away.

Sunderland had hoped Sessegnon would fly to the North East last Thursday night for talks and when that didn’t materialise, they were aiming to speak with the player over the weekend.

But the move is not thought to be any nearer than it was a fortnight ago with Muntari now by far the closer of the two players to joining.

Sunderland’s search for a new striker to replace the departed Darren Bent continues to be a frustrating one though.

Stoke have demanded a £5million fee for Ricardo Fuller - a valuation which Sunderland are not prepared to meet – while Cardiff City’s Jay Bothroyd is another target who may be priced out of a move.

Bruce is looking at a couple of options from abroad too and at least doesn’t have the distraction of a game in the eight remaining days of the transfer window.