Sunderland AFC transfer news: Reports Everton bid £18million for Lamine Kone

Lamine Kone scored against Borussia Dortmund
Lamine Kone scored against Borussia Dortmund
0
Have your say

Everton have offered Sunderland £18million for defender Lamine Kone, according to reports overnight.

And the Daily Mail are reporting the 27-year-old has travelled to Merseyside, although there has been no confirmation of that or from either club of a fee being agreed.

Everton have lost key defender John Stones to Manchester City for around £50million and are now lining up replacements, with Kone and Swansea City defender Ashley Williams both wanted by the Toffees.

Stones was named in City's Champions League squad this morning ahead of the deal being officially announced.

Both Everton and Leicester have enquired about Kone this summer, with the Ivory Coast international understandably attracting interest after starring since arriving for £5million in January.

There has been no indication the Ivory Coast international wants to leave Wearside and Kone is reported to have been offered a new contract by Sunderland.

David Moyes, who signed defender Papy Djilobodji from Chelsea for £8million, is looking to add to his squad ahead of the Premier League opener away at Manchester City on Saturday.

Moyes, though, has not ruled out banking big bucks from one of Sunderland’s key players in future, if that money can be used to strengthen the side.

Speaking last week, Moyes told the Echo: "I’m always going to keep the best players, but I’m also going to move the club along. At different times things will have to change.

"We had to sell Wayne Rooney, Mikel Arteta, Jack Rodwell, Joleon Lescott, but it didn’t affect the club, the club moved on.

"I would never say that it won’t happen. But I want to keep the best players and build a team.

"The more important thing is us bringing players in and bringing in players who can get us away from the wrong end of the league."

Kone is the cover star and features in the latest edition of Legion of Light, the club's magazine.

Speaking in the magazine, Kone said: "Last year was a difficult end of the season but we managed to stay up so we 're very much looking forward to the new season, when hopefully we'll have a much better year.

"You have seen a lot of me so far but there is a lot more to come!"

Looking ahead to the City game at the Etihad Stadium he added: "It is a tough game which we need to be thoroughly prepared for because it will be very hard both physically and mentally.

"We know every game is going to be tough and Manchester City will be one of the toughest. We have to work hard together."