OUT-OF-FAVOUR Sunderland midfielder Cabral is targeting a move to the Championship before the transfer deadline.
Cabral has no future at the Stadium of Light, with Gus Poyet making it clear that the 25-year-old, along with Modibo Diakite, his fellow arrival from last summer, is not part of his plans.
Sunderland are pro-actively looking to shift Cabral from the books, with another two years yet to run on the contract handed out by ex-director of football Roberto De Fanti last summer.
But Cabral’s agent, Walter Fernandez, is also looking to find a new club for the former Basel man, who featured for Sunderland Under-21s against Liverpool earlier this week.
Fernandez says a concrete move is yet to materialise from the talks he has already held with various suitors, but says Cabral is keen to remain in England and drop down into the Championship, rather than return to the Continent.
“He wants to stay in England,” Fernandez told the Echo.
“We are looking at Italy and Spain too, but we are trying to find a club in the Premier League or the Championship.
“It’s not a problem to play in the Championship – there are a lot of interesting teams there.
“We are still trying to find the right solution. I have spoken with clubs, but nothing has been agreed yet.”
Cabral has become one of the biggest transfer flops from De Fanti’s spending spree last summer after making just one Premier League appearance – on the opening day of last season.
He spent the second half of last season on loan at Genoa, but the Serie A outfit opted against making a permanent move during the summer and he returned to the Stadium of Light, where he has not even been handed a squad number.
Fernandez believes another loan move is more likely than a permanent departure. Although Cabral could join a Championship club after the September 1 deadline, it is hoped that a deal can be struck before the end of the window.
“A permanent transfer is not easy, so I think a loan might be more possible,” he said.
Sunderland are having more luck in offloading another of those considered surplus to requirements, with Alfred N’Diaye on the verge of completing his return to Real Betis.
The Echo reported earlier this week that N’Diaye’s brother and agent, Bakary Ciss, was holding talks with Betis on Wednesday after the Senegal international had initially failed to agree personal terms with the Spanish Second Division side.
Those discussions proved to be fruitful, with N’Diaye scheduled to undergo a medical today with Betis, where he spent the second half of last season on loan.
The deal could eventually be worth up to £3million for Sunderland, if Betis return to La Liga.