Former Newcastle United boss Alan Pardew discusses the prospect of taking over at Sunderland

Alan Pardew
Alan Pardew
0
Have your say

Former Newcastle United boss Alan Pardew has ruled himself out of the running for the vacant Sunderland job.

The 55-year-old has been linked with a return to management at the Stadium of Light following the resignation of David Moyes on Monday.

But bookmakers have him rated as one of the outsiders in the race, with Derek McInnes, Paul Lambert, Garry Monk and Nigel Clough all seen as safer bets to land the Black Cats post.

Pardew spent more than four controversial years at St James's Park between 2010 and 2015, overseeing a run to the Europa League quarter-final as well as a number of relegation scraps.

And Pardew, sacked by Premier League Crystal Palace at the end of last year, says his Magpies connections means "great club" Sunderland would not be a good fit for him.

"Being the opposite of Newcastle, I don't think that's the club for me," Pardew confirmed to Sky Sports.

"Sometimes when you have been a manager at a big club like that, to go to a rival is something I wouldn't do so that wouldn't interest me, but it is a great club and next year they really need to make sure they get back to the Premier League where they belong."

While not keen to step into the void at Sunderland, he is keen to get back into management - targeting a project as his next challenge.

"It will be for me about the project. If I think the project is going to be a chance of promotion, a good finish in the Premier League or a cup run then I will be interested," said Pardew.

"Us managers we wait by the phone and see what happens.

"I have had a good rest but I miss that involvement and more importantly I miss the players and the training ground because that is our workplace."