Pardew backs Ashley to buy Newcastle United a new striker

0
Have your say

ALAN Pardew is backing under-fire Newcastle United owner Mike Ashley to stump up the cash for another striker.

Newcastle yesterday lost out of Aston Villa’s Darren Bent, who has joined Fulham on a season-long loan.

The development came after a proposed £7m move for Olympique Lyonnais striker Bafetimbi Gomis broke down.

Joe Kinnear, United’s controversial director of football, is under increasing pressure to deliver between now and September 2, when the transfer window closes.

While other clubs have spent heavily already this summer, Newcastle’s investment has been limited to Loic Remy’s £2m loan fee, despite the huge hike in TV revenues for the coming campaign.

And supporters have questioned the ambition of Ashley, who ultimately has to sanction every signing.

But Pardew insists he is in agreement about the need for more signings.

“It’s a movable feast – that’s the trouble with the transfer window,” Pardew said.

“One knocks on to another. A signing goes in one club, and releases someone else.

“All those things are happening, and you’ve got to move with it. Players are not for sale, and then they are for sale.

“That’s where we’re at. Joe’s on the case, and I think Mike agrees with me and Joe that we need one more.

“That’s helpful, as he’s the one who’s got to pay.

“We speak enough to know where we are. His focus is purely on the transfers, and hopefully he can get a striker.

“On our part, it’s important that we bring another striker in. It’s obvious that we tried to do that with Darren.

“I’m we get one over the line. We need to carry more of an offensive threat. Remy’s a great signing for us.

“We want to try to make the best team we can, and I think we should try to sign another one.”

Pardew worked with Bent earlier in his career when he managed Charlton Athletic, and felt the 29-year-old would offer United a welcome extra option up front.

While Bent was keen to move to St James’s Park, a deal couldn’t be reached with the former Sunderland player, who Pardew feels has taken the “safer option”.

“For me as the manager, you’re not allowed to have contact with the player,” said Pardew.

“I was having contact with his agent until the deal was done.

“I honestly thought he’d be looking at our challenge and finding that a bit tasty.

“I think he’s taken the safer option, to be honest.

“Here, he’d have been under the spotlight a bit more. With England, it would have been better for him.

“He’s taken that option, and I wish him all the best.”