Newcastle United’s Pardew eyes double deal

0
Have your say

ALAN Pardew believes Newcastle United need two players in January’s transfer window – but owner Mike Ashley won’t be dipping his hand into his pocket.

Newcastle missed out on a series of targets in the summer.

The Magpies tried and failed to bring another striker to St James’s Park – and loanee Loic Remy was the only arrival.

However, Pardew is hopeful of a belated breakthrough when the transfer window reopens in the New Year.

“We need to strengthen the team,” said Pardew. “We’ll manage until January. We’ve got players to get us to Christmas, and we’ll go from there.

“There are a couple of positions we need to strengthen.

“I said before the window shut that we needed another offensive player. I still believe that.”

Supporters had hoped for a signifcant sum to be spent in the summer given that the club only narrowly avoided relegation last season.

But the only money paid out was the £2million loan fee for Remy, signed on a season-long loan from QPR, and an undisclosed fee for midfielder Olivier Kemen, then 16.

And a candid Pardew admitted on Sky Sports’ Goals on Sunday that Ashley does not want to put a penny more into the club.

Instead, the flow of cash is going in the opposite direction, with United’s improved balance sheets meaning a cash advance forwarded to the club in the wake of relegation is now being paid off.

“Sometimes our fans get slightly lost in terms of the finance of the club,” said Pardew.

“I think Mike has paid £200m-plus for this club. I don’t think he wants to put any more of his money in terms of his own finance.

“Therefore (the club) has to wipe its nose. We have to use the funds we have. We’re not overloaded with funds. I think, sometimes, that gets lost a little bit.”

Asked if money was a stumbling block in the summer, he added: “Sometimes it was finance that was getting in the way. It was a bit more difficult for us, because we had the Yohan Cabaye situation.

“If we lost Yohan, for sure, we’d have used some of that money to not only replace him but also to go in for a striker.

“We could have perhaps got a better option. So we waited, and it was difficult. It was a bit like a poker game in a way.

“Fortunately, Yohan stayed. I do think he’s an important player for us.”

Newcastle missed out on a number of striking targets in the summer, notably Bafetimbi Gomis and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang. Pardew said: “It’s always difficult. We were after flair players. They’re a very rare commodity.”

Meanwhile, Pardew has revealed that there are plans for Remy’s loan to be made permanent – but admitted that it is not a straightforward deal.

Asked on Goals on Sunday if there was an agreement in place, he said: “There is in a way, but it’s complicated.

“I don’t want to go into too much detail. But what I would say is that he’s given us what we didn’t have last year.

“That’s a striker who can build the game and finish. He’s got a nice manner about him. He’s comfortable in our group, he has the confidence to play for Newcastle, and that ain’t easy.”

Remy is on bail until next month over a rape allegation, which he strenuously denies.