NEWCASTLE United’s search for striking reinforcements could go to the wire.
The Magpies’ bid to bring Lyon’s Bafetimbi Gomis to St James’s Park has stalled.
Newcastle have had a £7m bid accepted, but the move has seemingly broken down over the fees and commissions due to Gomis and his agents from both clubs.
Alan Pardew’s only signing so far has been Loic Remy, who has joined on a £2m season-long loan from QPR.
He has an interest in Aston Villa’s Darren Bent, but the club are also exploring other options.
The odds are slim on Pardew having a new player involved for next Monday’s season-opener at Manchester City, with Remy sidelined by a calf problem.
“When players are away on international duty, it’s difficult to do a transfer,” Pardew said.
“I think there’ll be hardly any activity this week.
“All the managers will accept this is what they have this week, and will go with the teams they have.
“They’ll look towards the end of the window, and look at the first three Premier League games and see if they need to make an incision in that market to improve the team.”
Despite the acquisition of Remy, Pardew feels he still needs to sign at least one more striker before the transfer window closes at 11pm on September 2 – three weeks tonight.
“I still think we’re light at the top of the pitch,” he said. “It showed a little bit more against Braga. We have no Remy because he’s injured, but he’ll make an impact for us.
“It will be nice to improve that before the window shuts.”
Asked about Gomis and Bent, Pardew added: “I don’t like to mention any player, but we’re in the process of finding an offensive player – or two.”
Meanwhile, Pardew has arranged a behind-closed-doors game against Liverpool tomorrow to top up the fitness of a number of his players, including midfielder Yohan Cabaye.
Cabaye is interesting Manchester United and Paris Saint-Germain, but it would take an offer approaching £30m to persuade Newcastle to do business.
And Pardew remains hopeful that the 27-year-old will stay at St James’s Park for another season.
“The speculation about Cabaye is right – he’s a top player and I wouldn’t expect no less,” Pardew said. “It’s good for his confidence.
“Of course I want to keep him. If one of the big clubs comes with a massive offer, we’ll have to react to that.
“As it stands at the moment, there have still been no offers.
“He remains our player, and myself and the fans would love to see him stay come September 2 (when the transfer window closes) and still be in a black and white shirt.”
While sources in France have claimed Cabaye is open to a move to a Champions League club, the player himself has given Newcastle no indication he wants to leave.
And Pardew has praised his “professionalism” in pre-season.
“He’s not caused me one problem, and he’s worked really hard,” he added. “His professionalism has been brilliant, and our fans need to know that.”