DANNY Guthrie is set to be offered a new deal at Newcastle United.
The midfielder has impressed manager Alan Pardew after returning to the fold in recent weeks in Cheik Tiote’s absence.
Guthrie’s contract at St James’s Park runs out at the end of the season.
And the 24-year-old, in his fourth season at the club, said last month that he would assess his situation in the New Year.
Up to now, there have not been any substantive talks over a new deal.
However, Guthrie’s form in the past three games – against Everton, Stoke City and Blackburn Rovers – has prompted the club to look at his contractual situation and officials are ready to offer him a new deal.
Speaking last month, Guthrie said: “I’m not worried about deals or things like that – I’ve got six months left from January and there’s no rush.
“I just want to get back in the team. We’ll assess it in January.”
Tiote has been sidelined with a knee problem and he remains a doubt for Newcastle’s visit to Manchester City a week on Saturday, as does his midfield partner Yohan Cabaye.
Cabaye limped out of the Everton game with a groin problem and the injury is being assessed by France’s medical team this week ahead of their international friendlies.
Guthrie’s return to form and fitness is timely.
He was troubled by ankle problems late last season and in pre-season, and his form is a positive for Pardew ahead of January, when Ivory Coast international Tiote leaves for the African Cup of Nations.
Guthrie was signed by Kevin Keegan from Liverpool in the summer of 2008 for a reported fee of £2.5million.
His appearance against Everton was his 90th for the club.