Ryhope go to town in derby

Have your say

RYHOPE CW are making a determined bid to clinch the Wearside League championship – but Saturday’s fantastic performance against Ashbrooke Belford House in the Monkwearmouth Charity Cup proves they are not taking their eye off the ball in cup competitions, either.

Martin Swales’ side, which has notched up 48 goals in 10 league games, hit their neighbours with a double-figure blast and Steve Callan’s 47th-minute strike was all Ashbrooke could muster.

Whether the outcome would have been any different had Ashbrooke not had Paul Robinson sent off on 42 minutes when they trailed by just two goals is anyone’s guess – but in their present form Ryhope are going to take some beating.

Prolific scorer John Butler rifled another hat-trick in the 10-1 rout, Nathan O’Neil bagged a brace and five other players Chris Winn, Phil Hall, Jack Pounder, Michael Charlton and Chris Trewick all scored once.

Horden CW saw off a strong challenge from neighbours Easington Colliery with an extra-time goal by Robert Huntley.

The sides shared eight goals in normal time as fortunes ebbed and flowed throughout the afternoon. James Huntley, Peter Crawford, Darren Atkinson and an own goal accounted for Horden’s first four, with Luke Page (2), Brian Norton and Paul Taylor replying for Easington.

Leaders Stockton Town went nap at Prudhoe Town with Kallum Hannah hitting a hat-trick. Stephen Roberts and Max Craggs also beat home goalkeeper Mark Fish. Prudhoe managed only one goal, courtesy of Mattie Soulsby.

Dominic Laffin, Mattie Thomas, Mattie Kelsey and Lee Jones secured Seaton Carew’s passage into the next round at the expense of Harton and Westoe CW, who responded through Damien Cotter and Shaun Heads.

Annfield Plain went out to Richmond Town, whose match-winners were the Darville brothers, Liam, who notched two goals, and Ben. Ross Nicholson claimed a consolation for the Plain when they trailed by three goals.

Five of the six ties produced 36 goals but there was just one at Wolviston where Jarrow won thanks to David Mullen’s 71st minute effort.

In the league, Silksworth CW lost out to third-top Cleator Moor Celtic for whom Craig Little scored both goals in the second half. Earlier, Celtic goalkeeper Craig Devine had made two outstanding saves and Rob Hall hit the crossbar with Devine beaten.

Coxhoe Athletic led with a 12th minute goal from Vinny Gash, but visitors Sunderland West End rallied to take all three points as Adam McQuillan equalised and Barry Turton hit the winner.

Hartlepool claimed a welcome win – only their third in 10 attempts – when they eventually defeated Boldon CA by a two-goal margin.

Alex Chapman fired Boldon in front before Callum Sweeney, Shane O’Brien and David Thompson had Pools comfortably in front. When Brodie Simpson cut the deficit to a single goal, it was all to play for, but late in the game Lewis Murphy hit a fourth goal for Pools and there was no way back for the South Tynesiders.