Ryhope CW face off Redcar for honours

Have your say

RYHOPE CW look set to for a battle with Redcar Town to be crowned Wearside League champions and win promotion to the STL Northern League.

The Wearsiders are five points behind their rivals but have three games in hand and a better goals difference, which was boosted when they hit Prudhoe Town for five at the weekend.

Leading marksman John Butler rifled a hat-trick and Martin Metcalfe bagged a brace, with Prudhoe’s only reply credited to Chris Winn.

Martin Swales’ side are now the leading scorers with 77 goals and have conceded just 19, fewer than any other side.

Surprisingly, Redcar were taken to the wire by bottom-of-the-table Coxhoe Athletic, whose form has improved under Craig Morley’s management.

Billy Millington fired the Seasiders ahead after just 15 minutes, but the expected goal avalanche did not follow and in the final stages Redcar had to withstand pressure from their hosts.

Stockton Town were without a fixture and remain third, with Jarrow just a point adrift of them after coming from behind to comfortably defeat Silksworth Rangers.

A Leon Symons’ strike had the visitors ahead at the halfway stage, but their cause was not helped when they conceded three second-half penalties.

Brian Johnson missed the first one, but later atoned to level the scores with another penalty. Grant Pressling then struck a hat-trick, his last goal coming from the third spot-kick.

Sunderland West End stretched a magnificent winning sequence to 10 games in the derby against Ashbrooke Belford House.

The only goal came on 65 minutes from a hotly-disputed penalty, which John Coomber converted.

Peterlee Town were on the back foot once they conceded goals to Mark Foster and Michael Yorke in the opening 25 minutes.

Philip Hickman threw them a lifeline, but Willington hit back and restored a two-goal cushion courtesy of Paul Bayles.

Boldon CA won a five-goal thriller at Derwent Park, where Annfield Plain twice equalised.

Chris Robinson fired the South Tynesiders into a first-minute lead before Aaron Robertson levelled in the 15th minute.

Early in the second period Michael Meek restored the advantage to the visitors, but for a second time, the hosts levelled thanks to Matthew Wilson.

However, with just eight minutes remaining, James Donnelly clinched all three points for Boldon.

Gateshead Leam Rangers went down to Cleator Moor Celtic, whose matchwinner was Michael Dickinson with a hat-trick.

Brendan Lally (og) and Shaun Atkinson were Hartlepool’s marksmen in the win over Darlington Cleveland Bridge, for whom Peter Caley had equalised.

Three goals in four minutes swept Wolviston to victory over Kirkbymoorside, who held their own until midway through the second period before Martin Woodhouse, Stephen Kilpatrick and David Aninakwah struck.