Mustard determined Durham will get back to winning ways

CENTURY: Ben Stokes
CENTURY: Ben Stokes
0
Have your say

PHIL MUSTARD says Durham have no intention of pinning all of their hopes on one competition.

The Dynamos’ start to the 40-over campaign has been a stark contrast to their form in the longer version of the game.

So far this term, Geoff Cook’s men have won two out of three of their Clydesdale Bank 40 (CB40) matches, but they are still without a win in the County Championship and rooted to the bottom of the table.

Tomorrow they look to continue their decent CB40 start when they entertain Nottinghamshire Outlaws at the Emirates ICG (1.45pm start).

With the 40-over game offering some light relief from their championship plight, Durham may have been forgiven for trying to focus on the shorter form of the game.

But Championship captain Mustard insists that couldn’t be further from their thoughts.

“We want to win every game we play whether it’s one-day, four-day or T20,” he said. “There’s no getting away from our results in the championship or the way we have played.

“We can’t hide from that, but we wouldn’t want to. At the start of every season, we aim to be competitive in every format, and that hasn’t changed.

“Every game we play, we go out trying to get a result.

“Winning becomes a habit and that is a habit we want to get back into.”

Durham are third in the CB40 Group B table – two places and two points above the Outlaws, who have played a game less.

Nottinghamshire began their 40-over campaign with a defeat away to Scotland – losing by 18 runs under the Duckworth-Lewis method.

However, they found their form away to Hampshire on Thursday, beating the Royals by 12 runs.

England hopeful James Taylor was in explosive form as he hit 115 from just 77 balls, in an unbeaten knock which included seven sixes and seven fours.

Before that clash with the Outlaws, Mustard will be hoping his side has managed to snatch victory from what seemed like the jaws of defeat in the County Championship match with Lancashire.

An almost customary batting collapse in Durham’s second innings yesterday saw them reduced to 65-3 – still three runs behind Lancashire’s first-innings total of 170.

But a glint of hope arrived in the form of all-rounder Ben Stokes, who hit a superb 121.

Stokes, who turns 21 on Monday, combined with 36-year-old veteran Paul Collingwood (50) to put together a fifth-wicket stand of 132 as Durham finished on 267 all out – a lead of 199.

That glint of hope shone even brighter when Graham Onions trapped Paul Horton lbw on the first ball of Lancashire’s reply.

Horton had proved a real thorn in Durham’s side in the visitors’ first innings – carrying his bat for 49 from 134 balls.

But despite the early breakthrough Stephen Moore (23 not out) and Karl Brown (30 not out) got their side to 56-1 at the close of the third day.

Lancashire resumed today needing 144 more runs to claim their first championship success of the season, while Durham needed nine wickets for their first four-day victory of the campaign.

The England and Wales Cricket Board have released the itinerary for next year’s international fixtures, with Trent Bridge playing host to the first Ashes Test and Lord’s the next.

The next two Tests are also back to back, with Old Trafford the venue for the third match, as it was in the memorable 2005 series, and Durham’s first taste of Ashes cricket coming in the penultimate match of the series, starting on August 9.

The Oval Test rounds off the series.

The Emirates ICG will also host the second of two T20 clashes with the Aussies on Saturday, August 31