NEWBOTTLE’S Lynden Watt hopes an electrifying performance in the South Shields ‘Winner Takes It All’ show this weekend will boost his profile with fight fans.
The fledgling pro has had a stop-start beginning to his ring career and will be near the foot of the bill at the Temple Park Leisure Centre on Sunday.
But the super-middleweight, who trains out of Darlington and recently moved to Castle Eden, hopes to catch the eye in his contest against Lithuanian prospect David Sajauka.
The 22-year-old said: “I’m ambitious to make a name for myself and I was gutted when I had to pull out of Phil Jeffries’ Summer Rumble bill in July.
“I got a blod clot in my nose in the final days of sparring and had to go in for an operation.
“I’d been really looking forward to fighting on a big show like that at the Stadium of Light, so I’m delighted to get in another big show so soon.
“I was a kick-boxer previously and I’ve always been involved in exciting fights, so with a bit of luck I can do well this weekend and start making a name for myself.”
Twenty-three-year-old Sajauka has a mixed record, but has not been stopped in eight pro fights.
And Watt – who has only one pro fight under his belt – a victory over another Lithuanian, Vaidas Balciauskas, said: “I know how tough these lads from Eastern Europe are so I’m ready for a war this weekend, the same as my last fight.
“The main thing though is to look to win the contest and show people that I’m a young boxer to look out for.”