Rapid date change a boost for Goodings

Boxers Kirk Gooding (left) and Gary Fox.
Boxers Kirk Gooding (left) and Gary Fox.
0
Have your say

KIRK Goodings admits that the sudden postponement of his English lightweight title defence this week hit him like an uppercut to the chin.

But the Sunderland boxer came off the ropes when he heard that the fight had been rescheduled and added to the showpiece Stuart Hall-Martin Ward world championship bill later this month.

Goodings had been due to make the first defence of his title tomorrow, taking on Fishburn’s all-action fighter Gary Fox in a bill-topping 10-rounder at the Rainton Meadows Arena.

But the show was called off at the start of the week after several pull-outs through illness and injury, leaving the preparations of both boxers up in the air.

“When I first got the call, I was gutted because I’ve trained well and it was all coming together for fight night,” Goodings told the Echo.

“But then I quickly learned it was still going to ahead and I felt relieved because the main thing for me is to get the fight on and get on with business.”

Instead of tomorrow night, the Goodings-Fox fight will now take place at the Metro Radio Arena in Newcastle on Saturday, March 29.

Goodings said: “The fight may have been put back a few weeks, but at least it hasn’t been postponed altogether.

“We’ll have to re-assess my fitness work because it’s important not to over-train, so I think it will just be a case of keeping things ticking over.

“It will be another couple of weeks of hard work before getting ready for the fight itself.

“Like I say, the main thing is that we get it on this month and I don’t have a long wait for my first fight.”

Having won the belt with a fine points victory over Middlesbrough’s Paul Truscott in October, Goodings is keen to get in the ring as quickly as possible and he is looking positively on the switch of date and venue.

“I’m keen to get seen by as many people as possible, and being on a world title show defending a title has got to be good for my profile,” said the 24-year-old.

“There’s always the chance you’ll get seen and picked up and it has to be good for your career being on a show of that importance.

“I got the title last year and I’m keen to defend it this year and then push on from there.

”It’s a pity about the delays, but it’s still going to happen and I’ll be completely ready when it does.”